At the time of the Sun King and Napoleon the forest of Saint-Germain was the largest hunting domain in the Paris area and we can still today see many signs like from that era. Our ride departs from Maisons-Laffitte, the City of Horses, situated only 20 minutes from central Paris. The beautiful park is the home of 1 600 horses, of which about half are race horses and the other half regular riding horses. The race course in Maisons-Laffitte has Europe’s longest straight line. And last but not least, is located in the park, right by the River Seine a beautiful castle which once inspired Louis XIV to build Versailles. We will for three days to ride through three royal parks and discover three beautiful castles:
- Saint-Germain-en-Laye : where the Sun King was born
Day 1: Breakfast at the stables at 08h, presentation of the riders, our team and the horses. You can load your luggage in our assistance vehicle. After preparing the equines we leave through the Maisons-Laffitte park and the forest of Saint-Germain. Our support team prepares a good lunch that we will enjoy on the terraces of the castle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye while enjoying the exceptional view of Paris. Our ride then continues to the forest of Marly and the plain of Bailly. In the late afternoon we arrive at an equestrian farm where we will install our horses in individual paddocks and then relax around the BBQ. Night in bed and breakfast on site.
Day 2: Breakfast at 07h, preparation of the horses at 08h and departure on horseback at 09h. The morning is reserved for the discovery of the domain of the castle of Versailles on horseback. We will walk along the Grand Canal and enjoy a beautiful view of the castle. Our support team meets us for a convivial lunch in Rennemoulin. We continue then through the plain of Versailles through the historic village of Villepreux, known for its 18th century castle. In the late afternoon we arrive at the village of Chavernay or Saint-Nom la Breteche (depending on the dates) where we will install our horses and enjoy a well deserved dinner. Night in gite or bed and breakfast.
Day 3: Breakfast at 07h, departure on horseback around 09h. We find the greenery of the immense forest of Marly. Depending on the season we will have lunch either in the forest; Buffet carefully prepared by the support team, either in a restaurant where we can attach our horses right in front of the establishment. In the early afternoon we enter the forest of Saint-Germain, but this time we discover another part. We pass in particular in front of the Pavilion of the Muette, the hunting appointment of Louis XV, built by its architect Angel Gabriel. Napoleon also loved to come here during his hunts. The day ends with a short walk in the park of Maisons-Laffitte Castle. Our hike ends with a glass of champagne at the stables.
Detail of the services
The price includes:
- The rent of an equipped horse
- Horseback ride led by a qualified horse riding guide or instructor.
- Accommodation in twin, double or several beds’ rooms in
gîte or bed and breakfast
- 24H assistance team with car
- Full board (see program)
- Entrance fees for horses and riders in 3 domains of castle
- Board in individual paddock or box for horses
- Trail ride material for horses and riders
- Transport of riders’ luggage
- A permanent support team conveyed
- Transfer between hotel, guest houses etc and the stables
- Riding helmets are mandatory. Helmets and half chaps are available on request.
The price does not include:
- Riders personal equipment (a detailed list will be provided at registration)
- The FFE license is advised and includes insurance
- Practicing, under 18: 25 €
- Practitioner, adult: 36 €
- Holiday license, valid for 1 month: 8 €
- Cancellation insurance
- Extra services can be booked against a surcharge (Must be booked at least 21 days before departure):
- Airport transfer.
- Orly or CDG – Maisons-Laffitte: 100 € one way
- Beauvais – Maisons-Laffitte: 150 € one way
- Room in Maisons-Laffitte the nights before and / or after the hike
- Single room (subject to availability of our hosts) 150 € / person for 2 nights